The United Methodist Church has traditionally been known as “a singing church.” We sing hymns, because as we sing they teach us about the Bible, our world, and our neighbors. We learn about God’s abundant grace and steadfast love, Jesus’ life and teachings, and the early church. Our hymns express social concerns, past and present, with an emphasis on Christian action. Singing can be a statement of faith shared by the whole congregation unifying a body of individuals into one community.
From “The Hymns of the United Methodist Hymnal”
The Music Ministry Program
- The Sanctuary Choir is open to high school students, adult members and friends of Bridgewater United Methodist Church. The mission of the coir is to serve the church as music worship leaders by sharing the Good News through song for services, congregational and community programs.Rehearsals are on Thursday night from 7:00-8:00 in the Sanctuary. The Sanctuary Choir sings regularly for the 11:00 service. The choir is off the month of August and one Sunday a month. A schedule of music and dates is available upon request.
- Seasonal Choir opportunities include Cantata Choir, Celebration Choir and Easter Choir. The choirs meet for a limited time and sing for special services.
- Youth Choir The Youth Choir is open to all middle and high school students. This year, the choir will be focusing on the Parables through story and song. They meet on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Sundays of the month from 9:30-9:50.
- Children’s Choir welcomes all children kindergarten through fifth grade. The children rehearse on the first, second, and third Sundays of the month from 9:30-9:50 and sing for the 11:00 worship service once a month. The Children’s Choir is active from September through June, taking a break during July and August.
- The mission of the Adult Handbell Choir is to enhance the worship service and to spread the Good News of Christ through participation in community events. The Adult Handbell Choir is open to adult members and friends of the church.Rehearsals are on Wednesday nights from 7:00-8:00 in the Mt. Solon Commons. The Choir plays for worship each month, alternating between the 8:30 and 11:00 services. They also take at least one program a year to a local retirement community. The Handbell Choir is off the month of July.
- Youth Handbell Choir is open to middle and high school students who are members and friends of the church.Rehearsals are on Sunday evenings from 5:00-5:30 in the Mt. Solon Commons, prior to the regularly scheduled Youth meetings. The Youth Choir plays for worship four times year – once in the fall, Christmas, early spring, and Youth Sunday.
- Instrumentalists are encouraged to be a part of the music program. Please contact Joan Kenney.